100 days of vegan
100 days of living vegan
Inspired by the “no meat athlete” website and podcasts I thought I’d give this a try. Rules are simple and as follows:
- No meat/fish
- No dairy
- No sugary food
- Eat as much real plant-based food as possible
I’m also looking forward to see how I can ultra-run on a diet like this. Definitely possible but just requires a bit more testing of foods while training.
On day 3 and this is relatively easy. Making my own vegetable soups and Margrete made a fantastic Chilli con carne without the carne of course.
Potatoes, Broccoli, Carrots, Spinach, Onions, Peas 🙂
- Completed 3 weeks now and still going fine. Every morning I have a smoothie consisting of:
- Half avocado
- Coconut oil
- Hemp protein seeds
- Spinach leaves
- Pea powder
- Chilli flakes
- Had an evening run today and it went fine energy wise. It was a 10km. I started slowly and finished strong with a time of 42:40. Then had homemade vegetable soup for dinner.
- Past the 7 week mark and still keeping to the rules no problem. My energy levels have increased noticeably.
- Made pizza yesterday!
- Gluten free, egg free, vegan flour for base
- Crushed tomatoes with some spices for sauce
- Green, red, yellow peppers chopped small
- Red onion chopped small
- Mushroom chopped small
- Toppings of basil, pepper and chilli
- Did I miss cheese? Nope, and it was a real tasty pizza 🙂 Will probably make this once a week ahead.
- Drinking loads of tea these days with MCT coconut oil added – bulletproof 🙂
Only 17 days left on this diet/lifestyle. Overall here is what I have experienced:
- I got rid of coffee cravings after 1 week
- I got rid of sugar cravings after about 50 days (Not sure if liquorice is gone yet! I loved liquorice before!)
- I got rid of cheese pizza cravings after about 50 days
- I will probably live vegan after this 100 days
- No, I do not miss meat/fish/dairy
- I drink about 5 cups of caffeine-free tea daily
- I take B12 and omega-3 seaweed supplements daily
- It is much better to invite people to my house for dinner than visiting them as lots most people are pretty lost on what I eat and do not eat 🙂
- I’ve eaten so much food in the previous 80 days but i’m still losing weight. I’ve gone from 77kg to 71kg
- I’ve started training for 160km races (4 marathons in a day) in 2017 while on vegan diet
- My running times are faster but this could be explained by the fact that i’ve lost 6kg weight. Or it could be placebo effect.
- I do not know what I will eat for Christmas dinner. It will not be meat.
What happened after 100 days:
- My diet is probably about 99.9% vegan now. I haven’t eaten meat or fish and there is almost no intake of dairy products.
- I started this little project to see what it’s like and I found out it suits me just fine so I’ll keep going 🙂
After 4 years:
- So i decided to go back to eating meat and dairy on the Keto diet.