1 Pager Managing_Benefits from QRC
Edinburgh tram project ‘in trouble right from the start’
Pre-Mortem process – Save your failed project!
The Principles and possible workshops
- Align benefits with strategy
- Help the organisation get S.M.A.R.T. strategic goals.
- Most organisations have strategic fluff so help them.
- Start with the end in mind
- Do a Benefts Mapping workshop showing visually how the benefits are linked to strategic goals.
- If they can’t be linked,cancel the project?
- Utilize successful delivery methods
- MoP, MSP, PRINCE2, PMI for direction then Agile incremental methods for delivery
- Integrate benefits with performance management
- Book the benefits in budgets, headcount targets, business unit costs etc.
- Align bonus systems with benefits where possible. Talk with HR.
- Manage benefits from a portfolio perspective
- Double counting is minimised
- Project and Programme lessons are finally used!
- Develop benefits eligibility rules (categorised, quantified, valued, validated)
- Apply effective governance
- Clear governance and decision rules, who is responsible for what?!
- Regular reviews on benefits, not only projects
- Develop a value culture
- New behaviour will not happen overnight but make Benefits Management a business change in its own right?
- PRINCE2 or PMI or Agile does not equal benefits. Focus more on value and less on methodologies
Is it possible to implementing Benefits Management with Kotter’s 8-steps model?
- Establishing a Sense of Urgency
- Creating the Guiding Coalition
- Developing a Vision and Strategy
- Communicating the Change Vision
- Empowering Employees for Broad-Based Action
- Generating Short-Term Wins
- Consolidating Gains and Producing More Change
- Anchoring New Approaches in the Culture